Have you thought about adopting and didn’t know where to start or what’s involved?
Many hopeful adoptive parents can get overwhelmed with where to start. If this is where you are, remember you are not alone. With so much information on the internet, it is hard to figure it all out.
There are lots of questions that you need answers to: How long does it take to adopt a baby? How much will it cost to adopt? How do I choose an agency or attorney?
We tackle all of these topics and many more on this episode as we try and simplify or streamline the information by providing you with what you need to know before starting the infant adoption journey.
One thing is for sure. There is a lot to learn. There are many ways to adopt (agency, attorney, independent, etc). There are things every adoptive family has to have, such as a homestudy. The more you learn about adoption before you enter into it will make it easier for you and will make it less scary.
Kiana Carr, a Domestic Adoption Specialist from Bethany Christian Services joins us to talk about what you need to know before starting the adoption process.
Kiana has worked with expectant mothers, birthmothers, hopeful adoptive families as well as adoptees. She has a very unique perspective since she was adopted at 7 months old. She has a passion for serving all those involved in adoption.
You will hear TONS of tips and stories. Kiana shares her own story and her experience from working with families and birthmoms for the past 10+ years. You’ll hear how the infant adoption process works and what is truly important to know when starting the journey.
LISTEN NOW – Just click the PLAY button!
What you will learn about in this episode:
- Hear Kiana share her story and her experience with working with families on their journey.
- Why being a part of the adoption community and having support is HUGE.
- Find out why adoption doesn’t “fix” or heal your infertility problems.
- Answers to the biggest adoption questions (cost, how long you’ll wait, etc).
- Differences between agency or independent adoption.
- What is a homestudy and why is it required for every adoptive family.
- How to locate an expectant mother looking for hopeful adoptive parents.
- AND MUCH MORE!
Links we talk about in this episode:
- Bethany.org – full service adoption agency with offices in 36 states. Watch some cool adoption story videos, find out about their infant adoption program, and their amazing post adoption support services.
- Bethany locations nearest you – find a Bethany agency closest to where you live.
- Choose Joy adoption conference – a two day faith-based conference event geared toward people experiencing infertility and/or desiring to build their family through adoption.
- 9 Adoption Profile Design & Creation Services – see 9 places online that will help you design and create your adoption profile.
- CreatingaFamily.org – a national adoption & infertility education organization, providing support and unbiased information before, during and after adoption or fertility treatment to help create strong families.
- AdoptionLearningPartners.org – they offer meaningful, timely, web-based educational adoption resources for professionals, parents, adopted individuals, and the families that love them.
- How to Create a Successful Adoption Portfolio by Madeleine Melcher. This book is a step-by-step guide to creating a portfolio that will reflect your personality, make a strong positive impact and encourage the right birth family to choose you.
- What you need to know about open adoption – Episode 45 of the podcast where we talk about what open adoption is and what it looks like in real stories.
- The Cost of Adoption – Episode 44 of the podcast goes into great detail about the cost to adopt and how to save up the money you will need.
- InfantAdoptionGuide.com/iTunes – Subscribe to the show and get new episodes sent right to your phone or tablet?
- InfantAdoptionGuide.com – get my 4 FREE adoption ebooks to help you on the adoption journey!
Check out this show’s sponsor, Bethany Christian Services!
Do you like Podcasts? Listen and Subscribe to the IAG show on iTunes or Stitcher by clicking on the logos:
CLICK THE PLAY BUTTON BELOW TO LISTEN!