Every now and then, you hear an adoption story that truly tugs at your heart. We don’t often hear a birth mother’s story, and we especially don’t hear stories about how hopeful adoptive parents back out of a match with expectant mothers who want to place their child for adoption.
Tammy Thompson Davis is a birth mother, and also an adoptive mom. Her own difficult experience as a birth mother led her (22 years ago) to begin The Family Building Project, which is a company that specializes in adoption education, networking, and marketing support of the adoption triad.
Tammy shares her powerful story about how it wasn’t the easiest experience (obviously) being a birth mom. She’ll share how she experienced the fall through of a match – with not one, but two hopeful adoptive couples.
Most adoptive couples worry about an expectant mother changing her mind before placement, but Tammy had the opposite happen to her. Both couples backed out prior to the birth of her girls.
One couple backed out because they discovered she was carrying twins, and the other backed out because they were presented a “stork drop” situation 8 weeks after matching with Tammy and 8 weeks before her twins were due.
Hear what happened with each couple and what Tammy did when the twins decided to come early. Listen to her tell the amazing story of what she did while in the hospital, not knowing who would ultimately parent her babies.
“No one thinks about how the birth mom feels when a couple commits but out of fear jumps at another opportunity if due sooner, its hard. It hurts. And it almost derailed my faith in adoption. I’m grateful it didn’t.” –Tammy Thompson Davis
Tammy speaks often at American Academy of Adoption Attorneys (AAAA) meetings, and for large corporations which have family building programs (such as Turner Broadcasting, Coca-Cola, Merck, etc). She has never before had her story recorded to be shared for everyone to hear.
Her story is so powerful and touching, that we split it up into two parts. This episode is part 1.
After you listen to part 1, go here to listen to part 2, where Tammy shares the happy ending to her amazing story.
What you will learn about in this episode:
- What it’s like when hopeful adoptive couples decide to back out of a match with an expectant mom.
- What Tammy went through when she found out she was pregnant at 19 years old.
- Hear how she felt as she experienced two devastating fall-throughs with potential adoptive parents.
- Find out who was helping her through the process – and how much support she had from family & friends.
- AND MUCH MORE!
Links we talk about in this episode:
- Part 2 of Tammy’s powerful story – listen to her share how she found the perfect parents for her twins, PLUS she gives some awesome tips just for you!
- The Family Building Project – Tammy’s Facebook page for providing adoption education, networking, and marketing support for the adoption triad.
- American Academy of Adoption Attorneys – a non-profit organization with 340 members throughout the U.S. and Canada who are experts in the complexities of adoption law and the variety of interstate and international regulations surrounding adoption.
- InfantAdoptionGuide.com/iTunes – If you like the show, I would love it if you would leave a review on iTunes. Thanks!
- InfantAdoptionGuide.com/welcome – get my 4 FREE adoption ebooks to help you on the adoption journey!
Do you like Podcasts? Listen and Subscribe to the IAG show on iTunes or Stitcher by clicking on the logos:
CLICK THE PLAY BUTTON BELOW TO LISTEN!
[button_1 text=”Listen%20to%20Part%202%20of%20Tammy’s%20Story” text_size=”32″ text_color=”#000000″ text_bold=”Y” text_letter_spacing=”0″ subtext_panel=”N” text_shadow_panel=”Y” text_shadow_vertical=”1″ text_shadow_horizontal=”0″ text_shadow_color=”#ffff00″ text_shadow_blur=”0″ styling_width=”27″ styling_height=”30″ styling_border_color=”#000000″ styling_border_size=”1″ styling_border_radius=”6″ styling_border_opacity=”100″ styling_shine=”Y” styling_gradient_start_color=”#ffff00″ styling_gradient_end_color=”#ffa035″ drop_shadow_panel=”Y” drop_shadow_vertical=”1″ drop_shadow_horizontal=”0″ drop_shadow_blur=”1″ drop_shadow_spread=”0″ drop_shadow_color=”#000000″ drop_shadow_opacity=”50″ inset_shadow_panel=”Y” inset_shadow_vertical=”0″ inset_shadow_horizontal=”0″ inset_shadow_blur=”0″ inset_shadow_spread=”1″ inset_shadow_color=”#ffff00″ inset_shadow_opacity=”50″ align=”center” href=”http://infantadoptionguide.com/iag-043-part-2-of-a-birth-mothers-story-with-tammy-thompson-davis/” new_window=”Y”/]